Thursday, January 5, 2012

At least I didn't make a PowerPoint presentation

Alright, that. is. it. I've had enough, and I've held it in for too long.
Since when did it become acceptable, even desirable, to want to be the most boring, albeit "contemporary" town in the world? I suppose I'm mainly concerned with the architecture and flora. So don't get your panties in a wad. I know Auburn is a great place, and hey, I call it home; so no one has more respect for it than I do. But, since I have that respect, I guess I also have higher standards for it. So if the city planner (or whoever decides the things of that nature) just so happens to stumble upon this (I'm kidding... only in my dreams), I would like to have a few [kind] words with you. 
The catalyst that got the ball rolling on this theory that I've had for a couple of years now was a recent visit to Mobile, AL. I never even knew Mobile was an aesthetically pleasing place until this visit in which a simple car ride erased the misconception that it was a place whose sole purpose was to hold high-school baseball tournaments and the USS Alabama Battleship. This car ride opened my eyes to the architectural accomplishments and tree-lined, spanish-moss-filled streets of what is Mobile, AL




The collage is composed of pictures I ... "borrowed" from a blog written by a man who is also obsessed with Mobile's beauty.
Now, I know we can't just plant a bunch of century old oaks all over Auburn, but we definitely could have started planting them years ago. And dadgumit, I'm about to start driving an hour south and grabbing some spanish moss to bring back and throw on the trees. I don't care if it "slows down the growth;" if a tree is already grown, it doesn't matter. Speaking of growing trees, why do we keep planting trees that don't grow taller than 10 feet? I don't understand the logic behind that... it provides no shade and no grandeur. Let's think a little bit before we start chunking trees in the ground everywhere and calling it a day. 
What is this doing for anybody? 
NOTHING.








If it were a live oak, guess what... it would be evergreen and USEFUL. Or hey, even a magnolia... since it is Magnolia Avenue... but I guess that never registered with anyone when they were flippantly throwing those trees in the ground.
For a renowned architecture school, we sure do skimp on creativity/individuality in the area of architectural interest. It seems that our idea of "cohesiveness" is making every building look the same with "brick and limestone facades and pitched rooftops." That's not cohesive; that's cookie-cutter... and kind of deranged. I can't even talk about it anymore. So, moving on...   
Starkville, MS is another perfect example of how we can be interesting while still being a small southern town with southern charm. 

 



Why can't we have balconies and intricate French-quarter-style ironwork? Why can't we have towering, magical live oaks with spanish moss swinging from the limbs? Or maybe even some weeping willows, in all their whimsical glory... Why can't we have a nice downtown that actually employs the 2nd and 3rd stories of the buildings that line the street instead of letting them waste away in vacancy and dilapidation? Why can't we have parks with big fountains and tree-lined sidewalks?
If you need some inspiration, take a look at places like Starkville and Mobile... or even Florence, AL... or Savannah, GA... or Knoxville, TN... or Seaside, FL... or Greenville, SC...
Or hey, just take a drive 10 minutes east to Opelika, because someone over there seems to have some taste.. or at least cares about the way things look...
Now, don't make me tell you again... I won't be so nice next time : ) 



No comments:

Post a Comment